Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Could not stat - Windows permission problems

2008-07-15 10:36:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Could not stat - Windows permission problems
From: Lee Verberne <verb AT pontiflex DOT com>
To: Nils Blanck-Wehde <nils.blanck-wehde AT backofficeservice DOT biz>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:36:15 -0400
I had almost exactly this problem, only my situation was even
simpler.  I was doing a vanilla directory backup with 2.4.0 on Windows
Server 2003 and every _other_ backup would result in the following:

07-Jul 19:04 fs-fd JobId 5: Generate VSS snapshots. Driver="VSS Win
2003", Drive(s)="D"
07-Jul 19:04 fs-fd JobId 5:      Could not stat d:/Shares: ERR=Access
is denied.

This would result in the same "Backup OK -- with warnings" as your
output below.  It would fail reliably 50% of the time.  I did a naive
test of VSS by running ntbackup several times and it succeeded every
time, so I just disabled VSS with "Enable VSS = no" in the FileSet.
All my backup jobs since have been successful.

Since you're backing up dumped files, I don't imagine you need VSS
anyway.

-lee

On Jul 15, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Nils Blanck-Wehde wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just set the debug level and ran the job again, this time it
> worked like a charm. I didn't make any changes to the configuration
> except for the debug level.
> Do you know where the default working directory of bacula-fd on a
> windows system is? The configuration file saved during installation
> doesn't mention it. I didn't find the debug output of this fd so far.
> I checked my logs: The job crashed with the same error the last
> three times it was sheduled. When I manually ran it again, it worked.
> I wonder if there ist something going on on the server at this point
> of time. Would a running antivirus scan cause bacula-fd to be unable
> to stat a directory?
>
> The job is sheduled for this night again, I'll see what happens.
>
> Thanks, Nils
>
> Arno Lehmann schrieb:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 15.07.2008 10:51, Nils Blanck-Wehde wrote:
>>
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> looks like I need some help here.
>>> I am backing up our Exchange server by first exporting all mailboxes
>>> with ExMerge to separate .pst-files and then backing those files
>>> up with
>>> bacula. The exported pst files are also being copied to our
>>> fileserver
>>> where they are included in our weekly backup to tape.
>>> bacula-fd is running as domain-admin on our Windows 2003 SBS. This
>>> is
>>> proven by calling "whoami" in the Client -Run-Before-script.
>>> All Mailboxes get exported and copied quite fine, still the actual
>>> backup crashes with:
>>>
>>> Could not stat D://Backup/Exchange Backup//: ERR=Zugriff
>>> verweigert (Access denied)

>>> 14-Jul 21:41 company-server1-fd JobId 71: Generate VSS snapshots.
>>> Driver="VSS Win 2003", Drive(s)="D"
>>> 14-Jul 21:41 company-server1-fd JobId 71:      Could not stat D://
>>> Backup/Exchange Backup//: ERR=Zugriff verweigert
>>>
>>> 14-Jul 21:43 company_bacula-sd JobId 71: Job write elapsed time =
>>> 00:00:18, Transfer rate = 0  bytes/second