Serialization setting for copygroup ?

ldmwndletsm

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
For copy groups, can someone please clarify here ?

If you have a serialization value of SHRSTatic, what exactly is the impact to an actual directory, not a file (in the common sense) but the directory itself ? I read this IBM document (DEFINE COPYGROUP (Define a backup copy group):

"SHRSTatic
Specifies that IBMSpectrum Protect backs up a file or directory only if it is not being modified during backup. IBM Spectrum Protect attempts to perform a backup as many as four times, depending on the value specified for the CHANGINGRETRIES client option. If the file or directory is modified during each backup attempt, IBM Spectrum Protect does not back it up"

But I'm confused here in regards to directories. For example, if a directory had, say, 10 files at the root level, and two of them had changed since the last backup, and someone was creating a new file immediately under there, or modifying one of the other non-changed files, then if SHRSTatic was set then, yes, the file being created or modified would not be backed up if it was still being modified after 4 attempts. That part is very clear. But if a file is changing then the directory that it lives under (Linux here) is likewise being affected (modtime, ctime, etc.), right ? So according to what I read in the IBM document it sounds like TSM would likewise not back up the directory so if that is true then would we likewise expect that those two changed files would also not get backed up ?

I thought that when the attributes (e.g. permissions, owner, group, etc.) of a file or directory changes, but not its size or modtime, then TSM simply updates this information in the database but doesn't create a backup. If the object is then restored then TSM can simply update the attributes from the most recent information in the database whereas the actual file would still be restored from tape or disk. So with that in mind, if a file is changing and thus the parent directory changes, then would it just be the latest attributes of the directory that would not get backed up (updated in the database) whereas any files under there that were not changing would still get backed up, assuming they changed since the previous backup ? Or would those also not get backed up ?

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I want to make certain that I understand how this SHRSTatic value might effect the backups of files that are not changing (but would otherwise get backed up) if some other file is in use under the directory. After reading the description of the value (SHRSTatic), I'm not so confident.

Back