Networker

[Networker] Q about automatically labeling tape based on barcode

2013-09-12 15:42:37
Subject: [Networker] Q about automatically labeling tape based on barcode
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:25:44 -0400
We've finally gotten around to changing our offsite tape storage vendor,
and the barcodes that the new vendor uses will be readable by the barcode
reader in my library (previously, we had to use a customized barcode that
was not readable by the barcode reader in the library). Now, I'd like to
have new tapes be labeled with the value on the barcode, and I want it to
be automatic (I don't want to have to type in anything, if possible). It's
been so long since the barcode was readable to me, that I am unclear on
how to accomplish what I want.

Obviously, I know how to manually label tapes (I used to have to type in
the numbers that were on the barcode). But how do I tell Networker to read
the barcode label, and then label the tape? Without setting the "Match
barcode labels" option in my library?

(I don't want to set it, because I have all the old tapes that have
barcodes unreadable to the library, but are correctly labeled by
Networker)

Or am I misunderstanding what I need to do?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM