Networker

Re: [Networker] VSS chnages in NW 8?

2013-06-26 10:22:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] VSS chnages in NW 8?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:15:37 -0400
> > "I can't test that during the week (it is a production server), but
> > the DISASTER_RECOVERY: backs up everything listed as a SYSTEM WRITER,
> right? "
> >
> > There's no need to test - just look at the save set list of your
> backups.
>
> Well, obviously I can't. :-) We don't do DISASTER_RECOVERY: savesets,
not
> on this server (well, we usually just use saveset ALL). When we did, it
> was as I explained - E: was included as a system files, because that's
how
> it's configured. (Lotus Domino - the back end for Notes - registers
itself
> as SYSTEM FILES, during installation).

Let me explain again - if I was to use saveset ALL, I would get (as part
of the SYSTEM FILESET, I believe - it's been 2 years since we tried ut),
it would be 700G, because it would include all of E:\Lotus\Domino, which
is included in the SYSTEM FILES writers, as evidenced by the "diskshadow",
"List Writers" commands. That is the behavior we saw with NW 7.6.2.

If I *just* specify:

VSS BOOT:
VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:
VSS SYSTEM FILESET:

These are *not* 700G sized datasets. So using ALL, which also includes
DISASTER_RECOVERY:, results in much larger savesets. So the difference
must be the inclusion of that DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset, which seems to
be saving more than when you just explicitly list the 3 VSS savesets
above.

I may be using the wrong terms, but the main point is that files are
duplicated when using ALL, and not duplicated when explicitly listing
those 3 VSS savesets. This is only on Win 2008.