Networker

Re: [Networker] How to skip everything but certain files?

2009-05-29 11:22:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to skip everything but certain files?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 10:57:39 -0400
A Darren Dunham wrote:
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 05:12:54PM -0400, George Sinclair wrote:
The way they word it makes it a little ambiguous. I never thought about using 'uasm' itself in a directive. Also, the man page mentions:

Walking ASMs traverse directory trees. The skip, null, and nullasm ASMs do not walk.

Does that mean that it will not descend?

I saw that and was worried.  My memory is that 'null' saved the name in
the index, but not the data.  So it did walk.  But 'skip' saved nothing
and did not walk.  I think testing is the best course of action.

My experience was that using it would continue to preserve your previous backup entries in the index, whereas skip did not, so the next time you run nwrecover (or even recover) the entries would be gone, so you'd end up having to put in the exact time (maybe including down to the minute) of when that last backup was in order to have it display it - something like that, anyway.

I'd try something like this:

null: * .?*
uasm: *.html
I experimented with this by creating various '.html' files under the /data/dir1 directory and then running 'savegrp -n -l incr groupname' from the primary backup server to test to see how much would be reported. The '.html' files were large enough to generate reliable numbers. The results indicate that only '.html' files that exist at the top level of the directory will be captured, none further down.

You might try grabbing the 'save' command it's using and running that on
the client directly.  You can add the -v flag to get some per-file
information.  I can't remember if it displays the asm used.  I suppose
you could just add -v directly to the savegrp and that would do it for
you.

I tried this. On the primary backup server, using the '-v' option, it just reports the path names of the constituent files and directories that it's going to back up and that's it. In this case, the lower level directory (test) is reported, but none of its contents, which includes '.html' files, so I guess it's saying that it will back up the directory name, but that's it. It's not descending deeper down to get any '.html' files that are nested further down under 'test'. Next, I ran the command on the client (the one it reported above) and added the '-v' option. This time it reports exactly what it's nulling out or including. In the root area of the directory (/data/dir1/test1) containing the .nsr file, everything is processed exactly as I would like, with everything being nulled except for '.html' files, but then it unfortunately reports that it's also nulling out a subdirectory (test) that does contain '.html' files. Here's some of the output:

walk(/data/dir1/test1/a.html, a.html)
uasm -s /data/dir1/test1/a.html
walk(/data/dir1/test1/001, 001)
matched internal `null' on `001' for `/data/dir1/test1/001'
walk(/data/dir1/test1/000, 000)
matched internal `null' on `000' for `/data/dir1/test1/000'
walk(/data/dir1/test1/test, test)
matched internal `null' on `test' for `/data/dir1/test1/test'
uasm -s /data/dir1/test1/
uasm -s /data/dir1

My .nsr is under /data/dir1/test1/.nsr as:

+null: * .?*
uasm: *.html

There's a '.html' file directly under /data/dir1/test1/test and there's also several deeper down. Too bad this won't work. sigh ...

Just some ideas...

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210