Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] offsite backup

2010-08-07 18:11:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] offsite backup
From: Jon Schewe <jpschewe AT mtu DOT net>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 17:06:42 -0500
 On 8/6/10 12:12 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>> I have a new bacula running and am wondering what do you recommend for an
>> offsite backup, adding it to the current local storage.
>>
>> I was told by management that they dont want to worry if their servers get
>> stolen.
>>
> I recommend a tape archive and a suitable container that you can
> physically take the tapes offsite. However you probably are using
> disk.
>
> You could put a SD on a remote site if you want. You could also rsync
> your storage volumes nightly. Both of these are highly dependent on
> how much bandwith you have and how much your data changes per day.

If you're considering a network option like this, I would strongly
recommend using the rsync over a remote SD. I found that bacula doesn't
retry on network errors, so if you have a long backup running offsite
and then your ISP drops for a minute you loose, where as you can pretty
easily have rsync do a retry and pickup where it left off.

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital