BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Archiving old backup information

2010-06-15 03:53:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Archiving old backup information
From: Ian <barnracoon AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:50:55 +0200
Hi List,

Apologies if this has been asked before, cant seem to find a good way of searching through the archives and in the search results a best practice way of doing this:

We have a backuppc server that has been running for more than a year unmaintained. Since then, people have come and gone, the network infrastructure has changed and all the current hosts are basically null and void bar a few of them. What I am wondering is, is there any way to archive these backups into say 1 archive and compress the hell out of it.  The server is currently setup to run on a static IP system, where I want to change that to use hostnames as the majority of people run off laptops and use DHCP for ease of use. I could just leave the old backups there, but it would seem cluttered and there would be a lot of hosts that are not being backed up anymore.

Any advice on how to proceed going further?

I am a relative newbie to backuppc, so please excuse any stupid questions :)

Many thanks
Ian