BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Data Volumes

2010-06-14 11:04:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Data Volumes
From: "Norbert Hoeller" <nhoeller AT sinet DOT ca>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:00:57 -0400
I discontinued backup of my old web server this weekend and upgraded rsync on the new web server to 3.0.5 to be compatible with the backuppc server.  This morning, backup traffic was close to 450MB.  I did one full backup (existing files 1492/14MB, new files 12/0MB) and three incrementals (existing files 3826/411MB, new files 778/27MB).

The traffic pattern suggests that one of the incremental backups (existing files 3734/411MB, new files 664/21MB) accounted for the bulk of the traffic.  I had migrated multiple MediaWiki instances over the weekend, all using an identical code base.  One MediaWiki instance had been backed up last week.  Although the file counts and aggregate data is considerable, I would have expected rsync to detect that the files had already been stored in the backuppc server and would not have transferred the files.  The data volumes would suggest otherwise.

Am I missing something obvious?
        Thanks, Norbert