BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Issues with numeric ownership

2008-06-26 09:55:34
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Issues with numeric ownership
From: jdavis35 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:55:26 -0400
Thanks for the reply, Tino.

Yes, this is a bare metal restore. I have found that, specifically, the perms
and ownership are wrong only for files directly under my partitions; all the
other subfiles and subdirectories look fine. In my case I have the / partition
on /dev/hda1 and the /var partition on /dev/hda3.

I had to 'chown root:root *' from within the root directory and 'chmod 1777
tmp/' as well. Then, I had to cd to the /var directory and do the same for
directories there, as well as change the permissions on /var/tmp.

The /etc/passwd and /etc/group file *do* appear to be correctly assigning
rights to files which are not directly under those partitions. To me, this is
indicating a missing step after running dd to restore my MBR and partitioning
info... I would like to know what that step is if possible.

Thanks again for the reply!  :D