BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC making a lot of noise in Windows Event log

2008-06-26 09:44:58
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC making a lot of noise in Windows Event log
From: Torbjørn <torbjorn AT nextline DOT no>
To: backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:44:50 +0200
Hello, everyone.

We're running backupPC on our network, backing up quite a few GNU/Linux
machines and not missing a beat, it works great.

However, we are now deploying some Windows boxes, and we'd like to
include those in our existing backup infrastructure.

So I installed the cygwin-rsync package from sourceforge[1], as
recommended in the documentation[2], and this seems to work nicely.
However, this installation puts a lot of unnecessary noise in Windows
Event logs, entries like this:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( rsyncd ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help
and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
rsyncd: PID 3584: connect from backup.nextline.no (82.134.6.11)

Of course, most of this is Windows boilerplate for unknown events, and
only the last bit is from rsyncd stdout / stderr output.

So my question is, what can be done to mitigate this situation ?
My optimal case would be to "make rsyncd known to the system", so that
rsyncd output would show up in the event log, but without the Windows
boilerplate / warning.
There are probably some other alternatives, like logging to a file or
something, I guess ?

This would not be as nice the optimal alternative, as I am planning on
setting up a centralized system for Windows event logs, and I would to
have my backup routine logging to that centralized system.

Anyone have any inputs here ?
Is my optimal case feasible / easy to implement ?
Can I have rsyncd logging to another file, avoiding the noise in the
event log?

Thank you for a great program.

-- Torbjørn / Nextline

[1]: