ADSM-L

Re: archive to tape ???

2004-03-02 10:01:32
Subject: Re: archive to tape ???
From: Michael D Schleif <mds AT HELICES DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:45:17 -0600
* Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
[2004:03:02:16:18:51+1000] scribed:
> Weird requirement.

Yes.

> Not something that I'd recommend. And I don't see the logic for having
> only part of the data, but, its an intellectual challenge as to how
> this can be done.

Their design is a bit more complex than I originally posted.  They have
a second data center (DC), and there, a second TSM using a second disk array.
TSM#1 in the main DC#1 is supposed to replicate itself in TSM#2 at DC#2.
DC#2 is supposed to house failover servers for all critical servers at
DC#1.  In the event of catastrophic failure at DC#1, TSM#2 (and DRM#2?)
are supposed to recover to these failover servers at DC#2, and all will
be back online in a few hours.  I am not yet privy to the reality of
this setup, and I do not believe that this is fully functional as I
write this; but, that is their idea.

Also, they have already spent alot of money, and a parade of consultants
precede me.  They need to minimize cost to whatever they do that they
are not already doing.  I hope to demonstrate my value by implementing
a sound, and simple, and inexpensive tape solution -- then, I may have
opportunity to get them to question their overall strategy.

> Try this
>
> Set up a random diskpool big enough to hold one nights backup.  Point backup
> at this.
> Set up a  main  sequential file diskpool. Make this the nextstg of the
> nightly pool with manually controlled migration between the two.
> Each day, run a backup stg from the nightly pool to the tape pool and send
> the tapes off site.  Then migrate the nightly pool  to the main pool.
> Script a tape return process keyed on the state and update date of the
> drmedia table.
> When the tapes come back, run a delete vol discardd=yes on them.
<snip />

OK.  Thank you, for your ideas.

But, what about my idea to _archive_ from the disk array to tape?  Is
that not doable?  What are the flaws in this idea?  Comments?

<snip />

> The client says that they want to copy daily to tape only the most
> recent version of files that have changed since previous day.
>
> They will accept copy daily to tape all most recent file versions.
>
> Each morning, those tapes last written will be taken offsite, and tapes
> from seven (7) days ago brought back onsite and available.
>
> Furthermore, there are two (2) offsite locations, one for Windows
> platforms, and one for *NIX platforms.
>

> I am thinking that this can be accomplished by _archiving_ from the
> arrays to tape.  I am not clear how to specify policy.  Any ideas?
<snip />

--
Best Regards,

mds