Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] older version issue.... netbackup 6.5.6

2015-07-28 05:15:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] older version issue.... netbackup 6.5.6
From: Michael Graff Andersen <mian71 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 11:15:50 +0200
sshapiro currious why you are running a database that is about ten years out of support, especially if your DBAs do not want to use the tools native to that version.

Glad you got your problem solved, did not suggest start/end scripts as I understood that you wanted a RMAN like solution which was why I suggested EBU.

How do you handle the archive logs generated by database while it is in backup mode ? Thinking in RMAN scripts you usually do the online backup and a then backup of the archive logs

Regards
Michael

Only got one emailed reply to this - suggested EBU. Not an option. Our DBAs have no interested in trying to set up yet another unsupported system.

I resolved this by avoidance, in case anyone is interested.

I set up a new netbackup policy to just backup the oracle DB filesystems and archive log filesystems. Then using pre-and poost scripts (bpstart_notify, bpend_notify) I put the database into backup modes, started a new archive log, do the backup, then when complete, take out of backup mode.

pre and post scripts work pretty well!