Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Windows Backups....

2014-03-27 20:39:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Windows Backups....
From: Neil Conner <neil AT mbari DOT org>
To: Bluejay Adametz <bluejay AT fujifilm DOT com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 17:39:18 -0700
I’ve had lots of success restoring Windows 2003 and 2008 file servers using
this simple method (all servers were HP Proliant).   Haven’t tried Windows 2012
yet…

Assuming you’re restoring to the same hardware, and that you backed up the
system state...
1. Install same version of Windows with the same partition sizes (or larger)
and the same computer name and IP address
2. Install the same service pack revision (no need to worry about patches).
3. Do not join this new Windows build to the domain.
4. Install the same version of NetBackup client
5. Restore everything with option to overwrite files.
6. Reboot.
7. As long as the computer account has not expired from Active Directory, you
should be able to login with a domain account; if not, login with a local
account and leave the domain and join it again.

I have done this several times with no problems, but here is the official word
from Symantec:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56473

hth,
Neil