Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU coexistance with another backup software on same machine

2012-07-02 16:58:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU coexistance with another backup software on same machine
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 20:58:09 +0000
I'd recommend against doing another backup software on same machine or even the
same environment.   The very nature of backup software guarantees it's going to
be a cpu and memory hog and likely a network hog as well depending on how
you're backing things up.

Additionally there is no way to have different backup software peacefully
co-exist using the same storage resources.  NetBackup media servers will
co-ordinate with each other and jobs will be handled in such a way by NetBackup
so that a request to backup to a given tape drive won't suddenly abort
(usually) due to another request.  No such guarantee can be had between two
different backup software applications.   NetBackup will assume it controls the
storage when you run its jobs and the other software will instead assume it
controls the storage and they'll both be wrong.   You could setup different
storage units for the two separate software packages but if you have that much
in the way of resources it seems it would be much simpler to run two separate
servers each with their own dedicated storage resources.