Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP restore issue

2011-07-11 11:35:12
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP restore issue
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:35:02 +0000
On Sat, Jul 09, 2011 at 12:08:41PM -0400, SACHIN ARORA wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I have an issue and need to reply to customer ASAP.
> master NB6.5.6 solaris8
> server - solaris box NB6.5.6 (not an NDMP host)

What was the source of the data?

> Is it possible to restore NDMP backup to a diff. servers rather than to NDMP
> hosts?
> Is there way out by which we can achieve above objective (NDMP backup
> restore to non ndmp host)?

Possible, maybe.  But the way to do this is not well-documented
anywhere.

If the source data was from a netapp, then then the datastream is
decodable via ufsrestore on solaris.  The Netapp site has a KB for this:
1010683

The problem is that the file on tape is encapsulated with some NBU
format information.  So you would have to position the tape past the NBU
information to the beginning of the Netapp data stream.  I've had the
details for that in the past, but I can't seem to find them at the
moment.

If your source NDMP host was something other than a netapp, then
ufsrestore has no guarantee of working.  It may be some other format.

--
Darren