Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Duplicating using bpduplicate gives a smaller size

2010-10-21 17:37:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Duplicating using bpduplicate gives a smaller size
From: Tamimi <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 05:23:39 -0400
Hi All,

I converted LTO1 tapes to LTO4 tapes using bpduplicate. LTO1 tape read with
LTO2 tape drives (compressed) and write to LTO4 tape drives (compressed). The
result were some of the images have the same size and some have smaller size.

We are using Netbackup Enterprise Server version 6.5.4 on HP-UX.

My question is:
- Is it a normal behavior?
- Why? Is it because the difference compression algorithm between two tape
drive?
- Why some of duplication also result at the same size?
- How can we be sure that the result is OK not corrupted?

Thank you,

Iwan Tamimi