Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question for NetBackup 7.0 Dedup userORData Domain users

2010-08-25 11:46:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question for NetBackup 7.0 Dedup userORData Domain users
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:45:58 -0500
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Martin, Jonathan <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com> wrote:
I've just recently had a meeting with my Symantec rep, and we were led to believe that license cost and replication were NetBackup advantages. For example, I was under the impression that if you backed up 10TB of data weekly, but kept 100 deduped copies on 40TB of storage, that you only needed 10TB of license. Also, we were told NetBackup dedupe maintains replication to an offsite media server, and that you don't have to pay for that 40TB of storage either.  Is this not the case? We haven't talked to Data Domain yet, but that licensing model looks like a serious advantage to Exagrid's $6,000 / TB.

From the Licensing and Support Services Guide dated 1/19/2010:

Licensing for the infrastructure component, NetBackup PureDisk Deduplication Option, is based on the amount of
front-end data to be protected on source systems (front-end terabyte). If a media server is used as part of the
configuration, a NetBackup Enterprise Server or NetBackup Server license is required.

* A front-end terabyte is defined as the aggregate amount of data on the client machines measured as the current
largest aggregate full. Note that we are measuring the actual data to be protected, not the capacity of storage on
which it resides or the aggregate amount of data backed up to disk.

* e.g., a system with a 500GB hard drive holding 50GB of data to be protected would be measured as 50GB of
Front End capacity.

* Note that you should also factor a growth rate into Front-End capacity estimate (e.g., 50GB of data today –
estimated growth of 20% a year (10 additional GBs by the end of the year) = 60 GB of front -end data to protect
over the next year.

Determining License Quantities
* You will need the following information to determine license quantities
* Number of servers / systems to be protected
* Number of applications / databases and tier of machine on which each one runs
* Amount of front-end terabytes to be protected
* Estimated growth rate in source data

The US MSRP for the NetBackup Duplication Option is $4,995 per 1 Front End TB or $1,750 per 250 Front End GB.

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org