Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain OST

2010-07-17 23:38:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain OST
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 23:38:43 -0400
I'm not sure one can learn much from such a generic question.

Not what you were asking, but I get 60+MB/sec on a single stream or 120MB/sec all streams on my 6.5.5 Linux server via OST to a Quantum 6550, and that's via its 2 1Gb/S interfaces (bonded) ... should do better once Quantum gets the 10Gb interface working for us.  Inline dedup is configured.  Jumbo frames, I believe.

The single stream number is with data on the media or master server.  Our well-connected, larger servers tend to get 20-30MB/sec, with most others getting 2-15MB/sec.  Misconfigured 100mb/s connections get about 250 KB/sec. ;-)

As we were testing our backups and restores, I don't think we ever came close to measuring the Quantum capability, despite trying .. most often being limited by client disk or connection.  I've no reason to believe a similar class Data Domain would perform differently in gross terms, given the reputation of Data Domain.

For us, having the 6550s do replication via OST (no data server data I/O), was an excellent OST bonus over the purported speed increase over NFS I/O.

Cheers, Wayne