Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RMAN crosscheck

2010-05-19 16:17:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RMAN crosscheck
From: "David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 16:16:55 -0400
I am working with my DBA and Symantec, opened a ticket and found this issue
from the RMAN side:

Here is my note to them:
Please review case # 291-053-107.
Our Oracle DBA are extremely upset that the tools available to them to
troubleshoot in a DR situation are so poor.
They have no reliable way to determine something as simple as which media to
request.
* The Oracle RMAN utility, referencing the control files or RMAN catalog
database, knows what backupsets are needed for a restore.
* Only RMAN knows what backup pieces are needed for a restore.
* While there is an RMAN command that will list the images that a particular
backupset resides on, but this list is incomplete if an image spans several
media.

NOTE THIS PART! but this list is incomplete if an image spans several media.

Here is Symantec response:
I consulted with my seniors and my peers who work with NOM, and unfortunately
we do not have a report that can show us the backupset mapping with the media
id.  So we'll have to follow the same procedure to know the media-ids:

Oracle DBA tells you the data range information, client name from the backupset
query.
You can run bpimagelist and bpimmedia commands to know the medias required for
recovery of that backupset.