Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NOM, VxAT and brokers

2009-10-30 06:13:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NOM, VxAT and brokers
From: wdlb5359 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 06:07:33 -0400
This past week I installed the 64-bit Windows NOM 6.5.4.  Besides finding that
the install screens are different for the 64-bit VxAT, it was OK.

I installed the AT client-only x64.  Unlike on the 32-bit kit where the 'Client
Only' is a 'typical' install, on x64 the 'custom' install is also Client-Only.
As I needed a non-default install location I had to use 'custom'.  Installed
fine.  The most useful thing i found was 'athealth' that ships with all VxAT
installs, and prints a really nice summary of what is installed.

I then installed NOM, and on the screen for the Authentication details gave it
the information for the local Windows AB (a 32-bit AB-only).  NOM successfully
created its own private domain on that AB, with NOM_Builtin etc.

I could now log in to NOM using the 'admin' account.

To allow me to add users in other domains I had to  manually add the
domain-broker mappings on the NOM server, using the vssat interface.  This is
the step that I think is porrly documented, although one of the Yellow Books
does show this being done for a slightly different purpose.

I can use the AT GUI on the NOM server once I have put the x64 Java into the
PATH.  I had 3 or 4 different Javas on the server, but going round each and
running 'java -version' found which was x64.  With that it is easier to manage
the domain-broker mappings.

As I have a Windows AB and a Linux AB hooked to NIS, once I'd put in
domain-broker mappings for my Windows AD domains pointing to the Windows AB and
for the NIS domain to the Linux AB, I can log in to NOM using both Windows and
NIS credentials, exactly what I wanted.