Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

2008-10-22 09:51:07
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: "Nathan Kippen" <nate.kippen AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:35:53 -0500

Nathan,

We use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES with the allow multiple streams and it works well for both backups and restores.  Because our databases are backed up using RMAN we exclude database related files during OS backups as we know we’ll get the required database files during their own backups.

One note of caution regarding the use of ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES if you are using ZFS on your unix clients and NBU 6..5 or 6.5.1 though.  We found out (luckily) that in 6.5 and 6.5.1 they removed the ability for NBU to back up ZFS file systems using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as the backup selection.  Our root filesystems (on UFS) would back up just fine but it would ignore the ZFS file systems.  This was fixed by an engineering binary in 6.5.1 and I believe has been addressed in later versions (6.5.2 onwards !!).

Mark Glazerman

Desk: 314-889-8282

Cell: 618-520-3401

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to