Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] ACSLS 7.1 to 7.2

2008-06-03 09:53:15
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] ACSLS 7.1 to 7.2
From: Bonnie Burkman <Bonnie.Burkman AT Sun DOT COM>
To: Scott Jacobson <SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 09:36:50 -0400
I have upgraded ACSLS 7.1 and 7.0 and 6.1.1 to ACSLS 7.2 without any issues so far and I have been importing the previous database info as well.

There are a couple of things that need to be done before performing the upgrade and that is to run a complete volrpt for safety's sake to keep track of your current database of volumes.
Also perform the command dv_config -d > dynamicvarsCurrentdate to save off your current dynamic variable settings (i.e. settings for firewall, access control, vol stats, etc) and so you can compare them to the settings after the upgrade and import to verify previous settings get imported and if not you can go in and reset them.

Then you need to take down the software and run an export of the database to a file (as acsss user, db_export.sh -f /export/backup/dbexportCurrentdate). Then I bring down the database (db_command stop), exit acsss user, clean up shared memory (ipcs and then ipcrm -m #s under memory section, ipcrm -s #s under semaphore section, ipcrm -q #s under queue section).
I then last of all (for precaution's sake), backup the old acsls directories to a tar file (tar -tvf exportdirs.tar /export/home /export/backup) so you can also save off any files you have modified or placed in these directories as well.
Then do a pkgrm of the old (pkgrm STKacsls). Then I always check whether the old directories are still present and if they are, I remove them (i.e. rm -rf /export/home/ACSSS, rm -rf /export/home/ACSSA, rm -rf /export/home/informix, rm -rf /export/home/lib6, rm -rf /export/backup/server_to_server, rm -rf /export/backup/misc, rm -rf /export/backup/informix).
Make sure that the following 2 files are setup: /etc/cron.d/at.allow and /etc/cron.d/cron.allow with at least root, acsss, acsdb users. Install the new package (pkgadd STKacsls).
At this point  I have run into a small issue/error that comes up sometimes when you run the /export/home/ACSSS/install/install.sh script with it not being able to see the library or some such error message. This is because the file /export/home/ACSSS/data/internal/release.vars file does not have the ACSDBDIR variable set. If you edit this file and put the following info in for this variable, then it works - ACSDBDIR=/export/home/acsdb/ACSDB1.0
Then run the /export/home/ACSSS/install/install.sh and install the PUT0702S patch and then any other PTF patches that apply to your environment for ACSLS 7.2.

 Then I run the acsss_config option 8 to configure a vanilla database and then bring everything up vanilla to make sure it works in a vanilla format first.

At this point,  if everything works, shut it down completely, log out as acsss, clean up shared memory (ipcs, ipcrm -m #, ipcrm -s #, ipcrm  -q #).
Then log back in as acsss and run the import to import the previous database info: db_import.sh -f /export/backup/dbexportCurrentdate and select options 1,2, and 4.
If you have upgraded any of your library hardware, you will need to run the acsss_config again selecting option 8, but don't answer y to the second configure library hardware questions or this will wipe out your import.
Then if you have added any slots to the library and need an updated license, add it at this point.
Then I make sure the database is shutdown (db_command stop) and exit acsss user and again clean up the shared memory.
Then when I go back in as acsss I start things up with rc.acsss and I rarely have any issues. When I have, I reboot the entire system and usually things come up without any difficulty.
Once things are up fully, I double check on my dynamic variable settings with a dv_config -d > dynamicvarsCurrdate and compare this file with the previous one (diff usually works fine) and I run another volrpt and spot check things to verify everything is ok.
The cleaning up of the shared memory so many times is overkill usually, but when I don't do this, I have found that is when I have run into issues. So I tend to be more thorough and thus overkill.  Good luck!

Bonnie L. Burkman

PSD Architect 2

Sun Federal Professional Services

Sun Microsystems Federal

bonnie.burkman AT sun DOT com

Home Office Ph: 717-334-4755
Mobile: 717-487-6282

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This document contains information that is proprietary, confidential or legally privileged. Any such information is intended only for use by the original recipient and may not be used or relied upon by a third party. Please do not disseminate this proposal without the permission of Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Scott Jacobson wrote:
Has anyone upgraded their ACSLS 7.1 to 7.2?

Just curious if there were any issues with database migration from Informix to Postgres?

I didn't see anything on the topic at Backup Central.

The instructions from the StorageTek 7.2 ICAG look straight forward, but looks can be deceiving.

Any experiences, suggestions or guidelines would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott