Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Network Connection time out

2008-05-30 07:40:43
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Network Connection time out
From: "Jeffery Price" <jeffery.price AT aes DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:25:52 -0000

We had this issue in our environment – NBU 6.0MP4 Solaris 9, client was Netware 6.  Funny thing though – we had been fighting these failing backups for about three months.  Symantec was saying that packets to master server were arriving out-of-order.  I asked our network guy if they had made any changes.  He said, “Oh, I just turned on Quality-of-Service a few months ago to ensure that user traffic had higher priority than anything else.”  I asked him what happened when the QoS policy was active and there was a backup running.  The network guy said that the router would just drop the netbackup packets.  OOOOPS.  Disabled QoS, backups run without issue.

--Jeff

This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-Mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by return e-Mail and delete this e-Mail from your system. Unless explicitly and conspicuously stated in the subject matter of the above e-Mail, this e-Mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-Mail does not constitute consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs service.