Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] full DSUs in old NBU revs (was: something longer)

2008-03-24 23:35:59
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] full DSUs in old NBU revs (was: something longer)
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:59:33 -0400
> I have setup several 34G disks mounted as /backupdisk_1,
> /backupdisk_2, /backupdisk_3 and etc... Each mount point
> becomes a separate Disk Storage Unit. I also have a Media
> Manager Storage Unit - DLT tape library with 20 tapes.
>
> All my backup classes are setup with property "Storage_Unit"
> set to "any available".
>
>   Expectation
> ===========
> To continue backup on the next Storage Unit (Disk or Media Manager,
> whichever has space available) after one of the Storage Units
> fills up.

Many users (myself included) somehow assumed that DSUs would work that
way when they were introduced.  They don't.  DSUs and STUG[roup]s get
smarter every release, though; this is the default setting for 6.5
STUGs:

Prioritized
NetBackup chooses the first storage unit in the list that is not busy,
down, or out of media. Also, the storage unit must not have reached the
maximum concurrent jobs setting. When one of the specified conditions
occurs, the next storage unit in the list is examined until NetBackup
finds an available storage unit. If one is not available or if one does
not have enough available space, the job fails and is not queued.
(Default.)

> Looks like NetBackup chooses Storage Unit for the job and
> doesn't change to different one after the chosen Storage
> Unit fills up.
> Is there a way to fix my setup?

If you're expecting a job, a stream, to start on one STU, then continue
on another, that's not going to happen (unless it's a new 6.5 thing and
someone will correct me if that's the case)--you aren't going to write a
40GB backup to 34GB STUs, no matter how many you have.  You may need to
adjust your understanding of what a storage unit is.  As
David_Cornely AT intuit DOT com points out in his reply, combining your 34GB
disks into larger volumes makes them both more usable and more robust.