Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] all files backing up in incrementals

2007-04-18 12:13:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] all files backing up in incrementals
From: chris at fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk (Chris Freemantle)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:13:42 +0100
Our backup window for workstations is 12:00-2:00 midday. they
normally complete in about an hour. One of the policies backs up the
D-drive on Windows workstations using the archive bit.

Today, after most clients had successfully finished, the D-drive
policy queued all its clients again, which started to backup ALL
files on the D-drive! I know it was all files because -

1. The clients started transferring data quickly after their job
became active. Normally several minutes elapse before data actually
starts transferring.

2. On the clients that finished, the whole disc was transferred.

3. Clients that had successfully completed only a few minutes
beforehand with the transfer of only a few MB of data, now were
transferring gigabytes.

The 'Backup Archive and Restore' program shows backups from the last
full to the present, so I assume the database is OK. Looking at some
of the drives being backed up, there were not obviously any files
with their archive bit set. My next job is to recursively list some
drives to find all files with the archive bit set.

The only change I made is to tick the "allow multiple data streams'
box for the D-policy while the first jobs were running today.

Does anybody have words of wisdom, or even just conjecture about what
may have caused this, and more importantly, what I can do to stop
another full effectively occurring (I cancelled all of the jobs after
I realised what was happening).

As ever, thanks in advance.
--
---

REMEMBER- There is only one certainty about storage systems - they
*will* fail !
This includes backup and archiving systems.
If you want to be paranoid, make your own backups as well.

For FIL computer support issues, please email

   support at fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk

rather than individual team members

Chris Freemantle
Data Manager