Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Bad Tape / Restore

2006-11-29 07:17:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Bad Tape / Restore
From: gmackinn at ford.com (MacKinnon, G. R. (Gregory))
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:17:59 -0500
ida3248b at post.cybercity.dk wrote:

>Hello Jonathan
>
>If you're on UNIX you can use ../netbackup/bin/tar to read the tape.
>If I remember correct the i option ignores errors
>../netbackup/bin/tar ++help, gives a list of options
>
>Regards
>Michael
>
>On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:05:36 -0500, Martin, Jonathan (Contractor) wrote
>

>>I'm running a restore of some "critical" data but it looks like the tape is
>>

>bad.  Is there anyway to tell Netbackup to continue the restore ignoring the
>bad sections of the tape?  I've tried multiple drives and each gives me the
>same "restore incomplete" error / fails with a media read error.
>

>>-Jonathan
>>

>--
>Cybercity Webhosting (http://www.cybercity.dk)

Michael,

I do believe it was you who posted this sometime last year.
It did save my butt at least once.  I would only add that you
should narrow down the criteria if possible, i.e. search for
a specific directory as in /home.  This will minimize the
times that the tape stops and the amount of unnecessary
data it extracts.

Gregg

For nonmultipexed tape, blocksize 256k:
/usr/openv/netbackup/tar -itvf <norewind device> -b 512

For multipexed tape, blocksize 256k:
/usr/openv/netbackup/tar -iMtvf <norewind device> -b 512

Gregg MacKinnon                         Ford Motor Co.
gmackinn at ford.com                    2101 Village Rd.
Technical Computing Section             Rm 1116, MD 1074
(313) 594-3716   pager 7958343          Dearborn Michigan, 48124