Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.0/Windows Master Server/NDMP/LTO3

2006-11-27 21:23:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.0/Windows Master Server/NDMP/LTO3
From: Len.Boyle at sas.com (Len Boyle)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:23:20 -0500
Hello Courtenay,

A few questions.

Which storage unit, with what os and what os level are you using for the NDMP
backups? Is the tape drive, of which make and model, attached to the storage
unit

What level do you have the new vx logs set to?

We found out the hard way that a high debug level with the new vx logs can
cause an extreme slow down of NDMP backups running on netapp R200's. The larger
the file count, small files are worst.
A NDMP backup of a few heavy files will not slow down.

There are other reasons for a slow down.

One test that you can run, is to run the ndmp backup on the storage unit
without netbackup. This helps one know if the storage unit/tape system are
having the problem or if it is netbackup/networking etc issues.

len