Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO3 show shining

2006-09-26 09:56:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 show shining
From: jroyer at digitalmotorworks.com (Joe Royer)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:56:00 -0500 (CDT)
27MB/s is for HP drives, and HP employs the best overall data rate
matching mechanism.
40MB/s for IBM drives, and it's not variable like HP.  The drive must
literally switch gears resulting in speeds of 40, 50, 60, 70 or 80 MB/s
7.5MB/s for Seagate/Quantum/Certance but don't be decieved by their
"13-speed" marketing.  The drive not only needs to switch gears, but it
can only switch at the beginning or end of the tape, making shoeshining
a very real possibility.

Again, I don't have references, so take me with a grain of salt ;)