Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fame at last.

2006-09-07 09:51:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fame at last.
From: pkoster at ci.grand-rapids.mi.us ("Koster, Phil")
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:51:53 -0400
I think companies would be hard pressed to get libel suits against forum
members like here.  The problems we are raising here we are having.  It's not
slander or libel if it is true.  If they had half a brain they would be
monitoring forums like this and forwarding some of the feedback to the software
engineers to try and get the fixes done before a support case is created.  I
don't think I've ever seen that happen though.  At best you might see an
engineer that works for the company monitoring the forum but even that is rare
in my experience.

As far as quoting without permission, it all goes back to the expectation of
privacy on the internet.  The way the laws are right now, if you post to
something like this you're making a public statement which is eligible to be
quoted.  Just like if you yelled it out loud on a public street.  That's why
when I was in the U.S. Army they told us our official statement on all issues
was always "No comment" unless otherwise directed.  If you got quoted saying
anything at all there was a possibility of getting in serious trouble.  Even if
the statement was true.  I was once even told (jokingly) not to acknowledge the
color of the sky or the grass.

Phil
456-3136