Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] User Restores?

2006-09-06 17:16:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] User Restores?
From: Mark.Donaldson at cexp.com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:16:01 -0600
The can't exceed their unix permissions on the restore, so, in general,
they can't overwrite the kernel.

The "bprestore" tool runs as their unix UID.

There used to be a problem where no group other than their primary group
was considered but I don't know if that's still a problem.  (for
example: User could restore files to a directory that had group write
for their primary GID in /etc/password but they couldn't restore files
to a dir that was group-perm'd to allow a secondary group from
/etc/group to write there.)

-M