Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu Digest, Vol 1, Issue 5253

2006-05-23 10:36:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu Digest, Vol 1, Issue 5253
From: Mark.Hickey at hds.com (Mark Hickey)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 07:36:04 -0700

One issue I encountered in the past (was working with NBU 4.5 at the
time) was that frequency based backups did not respect the calendar
based backups; i.e.: if there was a window, and the calendar full ran
the night before, then the frequency based full would run anyway.  But,
for the reasons cited by "bob944", we needed the calendar-based backups
to meet archiving requirements (last day of month, last day of year,
etc.)  Due to the environment (large - 200-300 servers, mixed platform -
windows, novell, linux, solaris, hp-ux, and varied - oracle on unix and
windows, sqlserver, lotus clusters), we had a plethora of policies.

Editting all the schedules to replace some of the frequency-based fulls
with calendar-based backups was right out because of the LOE involved.
Our solution was to set the frequency based backups for fulls every
week, etc., and then write a script that editted the definitions via the
command line to exclude the frequency-based backups when we wanted a
calendar based backup instead.  I'll try to dif up the script and post
it to the list.

Mark Hickey
East Region TC
Hitachi Data Systems