Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Symantec and Linux support

2006-05-12 07:06:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Symantec and Linux support
From: briandiven AT northwesternmutual DOT com (briandiven AT northwesternmutual DOT com)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 06:06:17 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C675B4.46C68B9C

I asked about Linux support on Z-Series at the Symantec Vision conference t=
his week during the "Veritas NetBackup Future Directions" break-out session=
 hosted by Rick Huebsch, VP Engineering.  He had 3 or 4 people from the eng=
ineering team in attendance to respond to questions.  It was specifically s=
tated that all discussion would be based on NBU 6.5.

=20

Rick's response was that it was currently supported in 6.0.  I asked, "what=
 about support in 6.5?"  At which point one of the engineers seemed agitate=
d about being asked this question and defensively asked for a show of hands=
 as to how many people were running Linux on Z-Series.  I saw 3 hands out o=
f 100 go up.

=20

Rick then said that although this is not necessarily representative of the =
entire customer base, that Linux is merely a client like all other clients =
they continue to support.  My suggestion is that you request your local Sym=
antec/Veritas team relay your needs back to the Product Marketing and Engin=
eering teams and pound on them for an official response.  Right now they fe=
el that only 3% of their customers need this.  They need to hear that eithe=
r more customers need this and/or customers that are significant to them ha=
ve this requirement.

=20

Brian