Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Migration of master server

2006-03-22 10:23:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Migration of master server
From: simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net (WEAVER, Simon)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:23:38 -0000
Smitha
Not sure if you have had some answers, but I do not know of a document or
step by step, but from experience I have done the following migrations:

1) Migrate legacy 3.4 NBU Server to new NBU 5.1 and all clients slowly
migrate to newly created server - existing server is kept online for old
restores (where required)

2) Migrate from old hardware to NEW hardware

The process for step 1 is quite easy - create a new server, configure for
use with drives / robot and configure the clients to have the newly created
PC Client Software installed and configure permissions for the new Host.

Step 2 was simple enough - new hardware introduced, configured as old server
(ie: Server name, drive mappings, partitions same drive letters as before)
and installed Netbackup. Then used BPRecover to recover the catalog onto the
newly created partition.

Essentially, for step 2, it was a new server, same robot config, more RAM,
more disk space and more processor power.

Hopefully this has been of some help - Not entirely sure if this is what you
are after, but imstincts tell me that your new server must have the same
host name as before - otherwise bprecover could well fail.

HTH

Simon Weaver
Technical Support
Windows Domain Administrator

EADS Astrium
Tel: 02392-708598

Email: Simon.Weaver AT Astrium.eads DOT net