Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to use tar command available in netbackup

2006-03-03 04:44:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to use tar command available in netbackup
From: M.W.Ellwood AT rl.ac DOT uk (Ellwood, MW (Mike))
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:44:46 -0000
> Anyone has idea on how to use the tar command available with
> netbackup (/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/tar). I have got some
> problems with my tape library and I want to check if I can
> restore the old tapes with "tar" command directly instead of
> using the Veritas netbackup since I will need to wait till
> the tape drives are replaced.
>
> I have tried "tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0cb" but get following error.
>
> Blocksize = 2 records
> Hmm, this doesn't look like a tar archive.
> Skipping to next file header...
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks....Suhas Bhide

Likely you will have to skip past the first file at least, which ISTR is
a label or header file.

I think the verbose version of bpimagelist gives information about file
numbers on tape for specific backups, although I seem to remember it is
slightly misleading (do you have to substract 1, maybe to allow for the
label? Something like that; I think you are going to have to experiment
a bit.

Regards,
Mike Ellwood
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory