Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Real world overhead of Encryption

2006-02-15 09:36:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Real world overhead of Encryption
From: austin.murphy AT gmail DOT com (Austin Murphy)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:36:28 -0500
On the server described below I did some testing.

I have a 21GB directory that has 95000 files of which most are small
but a few are very large.  Using AES-256 it took 21 minutes (write
time) to backup this directory, using Blowfish it took 16 minutes
(write time).  While backing up the large file portion of this dir,
the reported speeds were 22-23MB/sec (AES256) and 29-30MB/sec (BF).
My tape drive (HP LTO2) cannot write faster than 30MB/sec.   Plus
BlowFish used roughly 10-15% of the CPU and AES-256 used ~23%
(bpfilter process only).

My conclusion:  Blowfish is significantly faster than AES-256.

Austin