Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Rsync'ing the Netbackup Catalog?

2006-02-02 11:11:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Rsync'ing the Netbackup Catalog?
From: ssesar AT mitre DOT org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:11:40 -0500
I rsync my entire NBU installation. My DR strategy for my master server
is to promote a media server to the master server. It goes like this:

- rsync master:/opt/openv to media:/nbu/master/backup daily after
backups complete
- In the event that I lose my master server:
    I shut down NBU on my media server (all of them, actually)
    move media:/opt/openv to media://nbu/media/openv
    move media:/nbu/master/backup to media:/opt/openv
    rename/re-ip the media serve to that of the master server
    add FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER =  <media server hostname> <master
server hostname>
    reboot

This takes about 30-45 minutes to do, and has been tested frequently.
Works like a charm!

Mike Haslam wrote:

>Has anyone had any experience using rsync to replicate their NetBackup
>catalog to a recovery site?  I am investigating this option at the moment.
>I would be grateful for some help on how best to go about this, whether
>anything has to be taken offline within netbackup whilst rsync is running
>for the catalog, what command line options should be used for best results,
>the files backed up and if any exlcludes should be used?
>
>Has anyone succesfully, or otherwise, used an rsync'ed NetBackup catalog?
>

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>This message and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged or
>otherwise protected from disclosure.
>If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender
>and delete this message and any attachment from your system.
>If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy this message or
>attachment or disclose the contents to any other person.

===================================

    Steven L. Sesar
    Senior Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
    UNIX Application Services R10A
    The MITRE Corporation
    202 Burlington Road - KS101
    Bedford, MA 01730