Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: URGENT CLARIFITION = Help

2006-01-13 12:12:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: URGENT CLARIFITION = Help
From: MarkP AT spectralogic DOT com (Mark Pinder)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:12:16 -0700
Hi Simon,
        It is completely POSSIBLE that a particular backup image will expire
before the tape that it is on expires.
        If you have 4 backup jobs (images) on a single tape and they do not
have identical expiration dates, then the tape will not expire until ALL images
on that tape have expired.
        A more specific example would be if you do a complete week's worth of
incrementals/differentials on a single tape. If each incremental has a lifespan
of two weeks, that Mondays' backup image will expire two weeks from the Monday
on which it was written but the tape will not expire until two weeks from
Friday.
        I'm not sure of the specifics of what you are describing. It sounds
like you may have multiple instances of a "session" (Backup Job) on a single
tape. This would fit my description above.
        I would be more concerned if a tape expired before the last backup
job/session expired. It sounds like you need to either adjust the
expiration/retention times on your jobs or make sure that you aren't getting
different retention times or expiration dates on individual pieces of media.
        I hope this helps.

Mark Pinder :
Systems Engineer:
Spectra Logic :