Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk volume layout question

2005-12-16 14:20:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk volume layout question
From: john.nardello AT wamu DOT net (Nardello, John)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:20:42 -0800
Veritas says to create a different filesystem for Full and Incrementals,
due to the backup sizes generally involved and how many files have to
get deleted for each when cleaning a DSSU. Future versions of NetBackup
sound like they'll do a much better job of handling staging disks.

Some light reading for you:

Depending on what you're using for back-end storage, EMC also has a pair
of whitepapers/briefs you can get on running backups to disk. They
should be available from their webpage somewhere.
"Effective Write Bandwidth with CLARiiON ATA Disk Drives and RAID 3:
Backup-to=Disk and Streaming Media"
"EMC Backup Storage Solutions: Backup-to-Disk Guide with VERITAS
NetBackup"

Have fun. =)
- John Nardello
"Your backups are only as good as your restores."