Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB 4.5 Solaris - NEW barcode reader, existing volumes show as dup licates?

2004-07-15 14:14:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB 4.5 Solaris - NEW barcode reader, existing volumes show as dup licates?
From: KDurfee AT microbia DOT com (Kevin Durfee)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:14:19 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C46A97.8BE58FA0

Good afternoon
I have been running my Solaris based NetBackup BusinesServer 4.5
installation for a couple of years.  I have over 200 DLT tapes, all of which
have been manually labelled and managed from within NB.  Now I have added a
barcode reader to my Qualstar TLS-6220 DLT library.  I have replaced my
handmade labels on existing tapes with barcode labels that have the same id
as the id the tape was originally written with (i.e. A00211 is the media id
written when the tape was created and A00211 is the barcode).  Now, when I
inventory the robot, NB thinks the existing volume with the newly added
barcode label is a NEW volume and the update fails since the media id that
the barcode represents is already in the database.  What gives?  I tried to
use Update/Rescan barcodes in the GUI for one of the tape volumes it thinks
is duplicate but it failed with some sort of "invalid robot type" error.
Any assistance is great appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Durfee
Director of Information Technology
Microbia, Inc.
320 Bent Street, 4th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02141
617-621-7722 MAIN

------_=_NextPart_001_01C46A97.8BE58FA0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>NB 4.5 Solaris - NEW barcode reader, existing volumes show as =
duplicates?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Good afternoon</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have been running my Solaris based =
NetBackup BusinesServer 4.5 installation for a couple of years.&nbsp; I =
have over 200 DLT tapes, all of which have been manually labelled and =
managed from within NB.&nbsp; Now I have added a barcode reader to my =
Qualstar TLS-6220 DLT library.&nbsp; I have replaced my handmade labels =
on existing tapes with barcode labels that have the same id as the id =
the tape was originally written with (i.e. A00211 is the media id =
written when the tape was created and A00211 is the barcode).&nbsp; =
Now, when I inventory the robot, NB thinks the existing volume with the =
newly added barcode label is a NEW volume and the update fails since =
the media id that the barcode represents is already in the =
database.&nbsp; What gives?&nbsp; I tried to use Update/Rescan barcodes =
in the GUI for one of the tape volumes it thinks is duplicate but it =
failed with some sort of &quot;invalid robot type&quot; error.&nbsp; =
Any assistance is great appreciated.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Kevin</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D1 =
FACE=3D"Arial">_____________________________________________________</FO=
NT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">Kevin Durfee<BR>
Director of Information Technology<BR>
Microbia, Inc.<BR>
320 Bent Street, 4th Floor<BR>
Cambridge, MA 02141<BR>