Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore-only tape drives?

2004-03-25 08:02:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore-only tape drives?
From: Jason_Cordes/US/Enbridge AT enbridge-us DOT com (Jason_Cordes/US/Enbridge AT enbridge-us DOT com)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:02:41 -0600
The only way really to do it is to have your backup storage units add up
to one less than the total number of drives in your library and then
create a storage unit with one drive. You cannot really dedicate a
specific drive for any purpose unless you have the ability within the
library of partitioning it out.

I'm assuming we are talking about only one library in this and as an
example you have a 6 drive library. You need 3 storage units for your
configuration so you'd have two storage units with max concurrent drives
set to two, one storage unit with max concurrent set to one, and one
storage unit for restores with max concurrent drives set to one. This way
when your backups are running there should never be more than 5 drives in
use and one is always available for restores.

Jason Cordes
IS Administrator
jason.cordes AT enbridge DOT com
713-821-2291