Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux SAN Media Server Question

2004-02-04 18:15:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux SAN Media Server Question
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:15:14 +0000
I can't say I've any experience of your configurations, but there are many
things to check.

1.      Run NCVU on the Linux SAN Media server.  If you need to know how
to, look on the Veritas web site.  It will highlight anything odd there. I
think you can set up to run it on just the media seever - it is really
designed for a Unix environment.

2.      We can discount the disk performance as you had it going Ok over
the network.  Usually this is a good thing to look at.

3.      Make sure you have the SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS set to something like
256kb (262144).  If you don't you will get poor performance.   Set
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS to 32 or more.

4.      Turn on logging to level 1, create the bpbkar and bptm folders
under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs.   Look for the messages about how many
times bpbkar and bptm waited (not certain you get them on Linux).  If you
do they tell you for sure if you are waiting for the tape or the client.

5.      Test with synthetic data so you know just how compressible it is.
HP have on their web site (hunt down their LTO tapes) some utilities for
several o/s that create data files with known compressibility, test tape
performance etc.  Some may work for you.

6.      Watch the drive, does it receive data continuously, or stop and
have to back up.  If you are using a fabric, you can watch the data go
through the switch (on brocade, portperfshow).     You can capture this in
a terminal emulator, cut it about and run it through Excel to graph it.

You say the absolute fastest you see is 15MB/s - well funnily enough, the
LTO1 drive native maximum data rate is 15MB/s.  So you are not doing
badly, unless you were using compressible data.  The HP LTO drive is
supposed to slow down to match the data rate - provided you have the right
firmware, so check that out too.

William D L Brown