Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Oracle Backup - Redirected with Recovery Catalog ?

2003-12-01 13:13:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Oracle Backup - Redirected with Recovery Catalog ?
From: mhickey AT glasshouse DOT com (Mark Hickey)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:13:59 -0500
Paul,
 I have never tried this architecture, so I cannot say whether it will
work or not.  I doubt that you would be able to do this via the client
GUI, but you might be able to get it to work using RMAN itself.  In the
RMAN catalog world, you run the restore from the destination client.
You connect to the source database, and then to the target database as
"auxiliary", then run the restore.  You will definitely need to set up
the appropriate file in the altnames directory on the master to allow
the alternate client restore on the NBU side.  The problem may occur on
the RMAN side when you try to connect to the source database to get the
backup info and then try to tell it to restore to different database.
Good luck.

P.S.: You really should use a recovery catalog.  It is an Oracle
recommended configuration because without one, if you lose the control
file on the database that you are backing up, you can't recover since
that is where the RMAN data goes.

Mark Hickey
Senior Technical Consultant
Glasshouse Technologies, Inc.