Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] one stream vs 4 streams

2003-10-22 13:39:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] one stream vs 4 streams
From: David_Cornely AT intuit DOT com (Cornely, David)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:39:54 -0700
It doesn't sound like a bus or tape drive issue because you're able to spin
the drive with a single stream at 30MB/sec.
First, how are your filesystems configured?  Are they striped and if so is
it a S.A.M.E (Stripe And Mirror Everything) configuration or is each
filesystem striped across separate hypers?
Then you should look at spindle contention.  When you run your 4 streams at
once how is it hitting your hypers based on the volume configuration from
above?  Then you'll need to map the hyper volumes back to the physical
spindles themselves.  This will help reveal if you've got some hot disks.  A
great tool for this is WLA (Work Load Analyzer) that EMC provides.  If you
don't have it configured at your site, get it.  It can be invaluable for
identifying performance issues on an EMC frame both at the disk level and
bus level.

-Dave