Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ClearCase on NetApp backup

2003-09-26 11:13:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ClearCase on NetApp backup
From: jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com (Kennedy, Jeffrey)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:13:24 -0700
How are others managing this?  Big question is do you bother locking the
vob's or just go with the snapshot?

I know of people running Oracle on filers that don't even bother with
hot backup mode, and so far (years) have had no issues.

I ask because my dilemma is as follows:

NBU server tells client it's time to backup.  Client runs through it's
bpstart script and locks the vob's.  Backup runs and script unlock's
vob's.

For filer it works similar, but part of the script would be to create a
snapshot after the vob's are locked, which requires rsh access to the
filer; something we don't allow from application servers.  Heck, only 2
machines out of 8k have that access but I'm willing to add a master
server since it's IT controlled.

Also considering an rsh from client to master server that triggers a
script on the master to create a snapshot, but that seems to add a fair
amount of complexity since the master would then need to let the client
know when snapshot is complete.

Anyone got suggestions?

Thanks.

~JK