Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU/RMAN Cold Backup question

2003-06-11 11:02:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU/RMAN Cold Backup question
From: veritas-bu AT jasons DOT us (veritas-bu AT jasons DOT us)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:02:07 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Steven L. Sesar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I kick off a cold backup, NBU breaks the backup up into several
> jobs. The problem with this, is that each new job that starts, tries to
> shutdown/startup mount the SID that it is backing up.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this, and what have you done about it?
>
> NBU 4.5MP4, Solaris 8.

What I've done in the past is have the script do several checks to see if
it's already running to make sure it only starts/stops the database once.
ie: When the backup starts it creates a lock file and shuts down the
database.  Each subsequent time the script tries to run it checks for the
lock file's existence and whether a backup is actually running.  When a
thread is finished and tries to start the database back up it checks to
see if other backup threads are running.  If there are the script exits
quietly.  If not it removes the lock file and starts the database.  I ran
Oracle backups with this for a year and a half with minimal problems.

If you e-mail me off-list I can try to track down a copy of one of my old
scripts and send it to you.

-Jason

-----
Jason K. Schechner  -   check out www.cauce.org and help ban spam-mail.
"All HELL would break loose if time got hacked." - Bill Kearney 02-04-03
---There is no TRUTH.  There is no REALITY.  There is no CONSISTENCY.---
   ---There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS   I'm very probably wrong.---