Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Using MPX causing disk access times to skyrocket

2002-11-14 02:10:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Using MPX causing disk access times to skyrocket
From: curtis.lists AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:10:28 -0800
We've recently changed from an MPX setting of 1 (no multiplexing) to an
MPX setting of 2, with no other relevant changes.  This is on E10k/E15k
servers acting as media servers to 20 LTO tape drives.  We have not
changed the number of threads that Oracle is generating; we've only
changed the number of tape drives that these threads require.  Instead
of sending 10 streams to 10 tape drives, we're sending 10 Oracle streams
to five tape drives.

The DBAs are claiming that vxstat shows that disk access times have shot
up significanly during backups, and this doesn't make any sense to me.
Does anybody have any idea why this would be the case?