Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to make (3.4.x) catalog backup faster? Is 4.5 faster?

2002-10-19 23:05:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to make (3.4.x) catalog backup faster? Is 4.5 faster?
From: Fabbro.Andrew AT cnf DOT com (Fabbro, Andrew P)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:05:53 -0700
I would dearly love to make our NetBackup catalog backups faster.  I've got
about 80GB of catalog.  The Master is a Sun E450 w/4x300Mhz procs and 4GB
RAM running Solaris 8.  The catalog lives on Hitachi 9980 storage and the
Master has a dedicated LTO drive (also fiber).  The /usr/openv filesystem is
VxFS.

Right now a catalog backup takes ~2:45 hours.  The bottleneck is not tape or
storage.  I think it's the classic "many small files" problem - my
/usr/openv has ~280,000 files.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried any VxFS tuning to improve performance (I
know I'm reaching here).  I'm also wondering what improvements if any people
are seeing with 4.5.

Thanks,

-andrew fabbro [fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com]