Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] tape error problems

2002-02-28 11:57:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] tape error problems
From: alevin AT audible DOT com (Adam Levin)
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:57:23 -0500 (EST)
Solaris 8, AIT2 library (Spectralogic 64000), Netbackup 3.4.1, patched.

We've been having tape error problems, and after spending a lot of time
with Spectralogic on the phone, we cleared up some st.conf issues which
may have been causing the problem.

Now, I'm still getting errors, some the same, and some that say "tape
header not in tar format".  What I want to do is basically take me old
backups, expire the images, bulk erase the tapes, and start fresh
(thankfully, we can do this here).

However, when I use bpimmedia to list the images on a particular tape,
some tapes are coming back as "no entity was found".  I'm running the
command on the master server, not the media server (master is also Solaris
8).  Some of the tapes that say "no entity was found" were mounted as
recently as yesterday, but it's possible they failed the backup (I'll
check the logs).

Anyway, my main question is this: if no entity was found, does that mean
that there are no current backup images on that tape, and I can just bulk
erase it and start over?

Thanks,
-Adam

Adam Levin, Senior Unix Systems Administrator | http://www.audible.com/
Audible, Inc.     "Ooh, that's champion, that is.  What is it?"
Wayne, NJ, 07470  "It's a pie machine.  Chickens go in, pies come out."
973-837-2797      "Ooh, what kind of pies?"  "Apple."  "My favorite!"