Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpduplicate using the -id switch

2001-07-25 13:16:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpduplicate using the -id switch
From: RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com (RYAN ANDERSON)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:16:15 -0500
kkadams AT mmm DOT com wrote:

> ? regarding the bpduplicate command using -id mediaid
>
> The Administrator's guide states "If an original is fragmented between
> different
> media ID's, Netbackup duplicates only the fragments that exist on the
> specified
> Media ID"
>
> However, when I use the command the first tape that is selected is a different
> media id than the one specified in the command. Which leads me to believe that
> the documentation is incorrect.
>
> My goal is to streamline the duplication process so I do not end up with tape
> contention. I'm not sure whether I should run duplications from an imagelist
> or
> a list of tapes.
>
> David Chapa.... your script on the Advanced Netbackup scripting site uses the
> -id switch. Have you had any problems with tape contention when duplicating?
>
> PS... my environment is Netbackup 3.4 Datacenter, patch 341 on a Windows 2000
> Master server.
>
> Any input or suggestions are appreciated.

His script duplicates based on client, at least the version of it I
have.

Duplicating by client or class is the easiest. You can duplicate by
backupid also if you want that granularity. I'd avoid duplicating by
media id. Here's a simple way you could duplicate by backupid:

bpimagelist -hoursago 72 -st full -idonly | awk '{ print $8 }' | while
read bpimg do
        bpduplicate -backupid $bpimg -dstunit <storage unit> -v -dp <offsite
pool> -L /tmp/log.log
done

I'd try scripting it yourself, or use ones that do what you want, like
my 'nbduplicate' script (http://www.xbpadm-commands.com/) ;-)  You'd
have to convert these to Perl or batch though...

RCA
--
Ryan C. Anderson       | United Defense L.P.
ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com | pager 952.235.9936