Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape remains in drive after backup/robtest.

2000-12-20 10:26:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape remains in drive after backup/robtest.
From: Mukarram Syed musyed AT onebox DOT com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:26:22 -0800
Hi All,
Let me explain our setup first before the problem:
We are running Netbackup DataCenter 3.4.  The Master is a E450 and the
Media Manager is a E250 (both on Solaris 7).  The Media Manager is connected
to a STK 9730.
The problem is after a backup (scheduled or manual) is completed the
tape remains in the drive.
I did a robtest on the drive, the tape is successfully transferred into
the drive, but when I type "unload d2" (the drive # is 2), it errors
out saying "/dev/rmt/1 Error ... Device busy" (I don't have the exact
error, but this is what it says approximately).  Then when I type unload
d2 AGAIN, it unloads the tape.  I then type the command to move the tape
from d2 to the tape slot number and it completes the action successfully.
Is this problem with Netbackup or with the STK 9730 Drive #2?  Sounds
like a drive problem to me.  I did open up a call with StorageTek.
Please, suggestions/recommendations would be greatly apprecitated.  Has
anybody seen this type of a problem?  Is there a way in Netbackup to
try to initiate an eject multiple times if it fails the first time on
a Scheduled Backup?

Mukarram Syed
musyed AT onebox DOT com - email
(408) 514-2619 x1117 - voicemail/fax